I love to bake. I’m certainly not a pro, but I can definitely navigate through the basic recipes.
One thing that I’ve been wanting to perfect is the pie! I grew up watching Snow White and simply wanting to be her (because, hello, she sleeps and bakes pies like a boss). Exhibit Pie:
I’ve been testing out a few apple pie recipes, and I’ve almost found my favorite one, but my cousin recently brought the sweet potato pie into my life and changed my pie game forever! It’s definitely kicked the pumpkin pie out of my top 3 and earned its place alongside the classic Apple and Cherry Rhubarb.
For the super simple sweet potato pie filling, keep on keeping on!
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, mashed (approximately 3 large potatoes)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup regular milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or beans)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Tenderflake Deep Dish pie shells
- Boil (or bake) potatoes until fully cooked and soft. Mash with potato masher. –> Nat forgot to time this step, but it took forever.
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth
- Mix in eggs one at a time to create custard consistency
- Mix in sweet potato mash, blend until smooth
- Add in vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- Add in evaporated and regular milk
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake for approx 45 minutes
This is my first time trying out the pre-made Tenderflake deep dish pie shell, but I’m not above shortcuts, especially with how busy I’ve been lately!
The crust did not look like how it does on the box (go figure):
So I made another shell for the second pie, which I liked much better:
This filling recipe fills two 9-inch pie shells. The sweet potatoes can be interchangeable with purple yams, pumpkin, banana (cream pie <3) or avocados for the more daring people out there!
GET AT ME, SNOW WHITE. 😉 xo