You already know I love holiday baking (who doesn’t?!) and these Turtle Thumbprints sure can make the perfect DIY gift! Each Christmas, I pick some of my favorite cookie recipes and try out a couple new ones, pack ’em up and gift them to family and friends. This year, I decided to add in these decadent Turtle treats!
For the recipe, keep reading!
*FULL DISCLOSURE: I was way too excited to take decent pictures. Stay with me!
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature OR melted)
- 2/3 granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (separate whites and yolk)
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup caramels (I used 26 pcs of Werther’s Soft Caramels)
- 1/2 tsp water
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in egg yolk, milk and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture. Chill dough in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- In a separate container, whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy. I find room temperature egg whites work best. Place chopped pecans in another shallow container.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll into small balls. These can be as big or as small as you’d like – I rolled about 1 tsp of dough at a time.
- Roll each ball in the egg whites, and then roll around in the chopped pecans until fully covered. Please on a greased baking sheet.
- Make indents in the center of each ball. I used the back of a small measuring spoon. You can also use your thumbs (thumbprint cookies, duh!)
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Gently reinforce indents with a spoon as soon as the cookies come out of the oven!
- To make the caramel: microwave caramel and water at 30-second intervals until caramel is melted. Be sure to stir frequently after each interval. I have a strong microwave, so I only needed to microwave for 45 seconds tops!
- Pour caramel into indented cookies. Be sure not to overflow!
- Drizzle with melted chocolate.
So simple, but so darn rewarding! They taste very similar to Turtles with a great crunch and gooey caramel centre. Yum!
Here’s a sneak peek at the other cookies I have in my 2015 Christmas Cookie Gift Box!
(top-bottom) Ginger molasses, Turtle thumbprints, Hello Dolly Bars, White Chocolate and Cranberry cookies. Recipes coming soon! 🙂 x